Being a Passive Candidate: What You Need To Know

In this blog, we won’t give tips on how to source passive candidates and why you should not ignore them, you know that already. But have you ever, as a recruiter, considered if you are a passive candidate?

It sounds paradoxical: How can you be passive and active at the same time? Yet, some passive candidates aren’t always totally passive and there are truly amazing rewards from being one.

Here is a guide to be (a not so much) passive candidate and why it is worth the extra effort.

Passive Versus Active

Unsurprisingly, the traditional dichotomy passive versus active candidates needs to be addressed.

A passive candidate is an individual who is not actively looking for a new job because they are perfectly content with their current position. On the other hand, active candidates are individuals employed or unemployed, who are actively looking for a new role.

According to LinkedIn (2015), 70% of the global workforce was made up of passive talent who aren’t actively searching for a job, and the remaining 30% are active job seekers.

Ultimately, recruiters or employers are looking for the best job candidates irrespective of their current work status. The ideal candidate may be unemployed, employed but looking, employed but not looking, or employed and not open to a new opportunity.

However, the passive candidate is the Holy Grail! It’s someone who presents a unique set of in-demand skills and experience that makes her desirable to employers and who probably won’t be interviewing with other companies, which means less competition for the recruiter or employer. 

You want to be that candidate, even if you are currently content in your position, you might not always be, so why not do everything you can to be recruited.

No costs, only benefits.

The Benefits of Being Found

Under this scenario, the tables have turned, they found you and you have the upper hand.  Because they want to recruit you and because you are happy with your current role, they will have to motivate you to make the switch. Therefore, whatever makes you consider their offer will be an improvement such as higher compensation and benefits, a better work/life balance or better opportunities for advancement.

What To Do

To summarise, you can be a passive candidate and still maximise your chances of being discovered by doing these small efforts:

1. Keep your LinkedIn profile up to date. Don’t forget to include all recent training or certifications and your interests.

2. For your own interest, but also to impress the potential recruiter, keep yourself updated on trends within your industry.

3. Follow recruitment agencies or relevant companies. No action is required, just follow them. Chances are they will find you and realise that you follow them.

4. Don’t miss a call or give a call back when contacted by a recruiter.

We hope we’ve convinced you! In the meantime, if you are an active candidate reading this blog and looking for a new role, contact us today!

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *